Being informed you are about your mortgage is important. Knowing the right questions to ask is even better. We have put together an extensive list of “need-to-know” questions you should be asking when going through the mortgage application process.
- Is the mortgage automatically renewable when it matures, or will I have to re-qualify?
- Can I ”skip” a mortgage payment?
- If I have ”doubled up” on a mortgage payment, can I ”skip” a payment at a later date?
If the current rate from the lender is higher that my contract rate when I wish to make a prepayment, will the lender provide a rebate?
- Can I pay my property taxes directly or do I have to pay them through the lender? If they can not be paid directly, what interest is paid on the property tax savings account?
- Is there any outstanding tax due on the property?
- Can I sell the mortgage along with the house?
- Is the prepayment amount based on the original amount, the current payment or the outstanding balance?
- Can the monthly payment be reduced after it has been increased?
- Can I take the mortgage with me when I sell the house? If so, can I ”port” or ”port/increase/blend”? Can I port and reduce the outstanding balance?
- Who decides if my mortgage allows a prepayment?
- When selling my house, what will the penalty be if the buyer is not allowed to assume the mortgage?
- Will the full mortgage amount be forwarded on closing or is the adjustment date used?
- How often can the mortgage be prepaid?
- How long is the interest rate guaranteed before closing? Is there any cost?
- Will I get the benefit of a lower interest rate if rates drop?
- When will the ”final” rate be set?
- Can I convert an open mortgage to longer fixed term? What does this cost? What type can I convert to? Are there any fees associated with conversion?
- Is the ”early renewal” feature offered?